Earlier this week, in just over 24 hours, my kids taught me 24 things it takes to make the perfect vacation. Though we weren't gone long, we didn't go far, and we couldn't spend much...we had a ton of fun and we made a ton of memories. So, whether your three and four like my two boys or 34 like me...here are 24 easy, inexpensive steps for the perfect family getaway.
1. Drive somewhere.
2. Count tractors or cows or license plates on the way.
3. Take a nap.
4. Get lost (at least once).
5. Start with dessert.
6. Ride rides at the mall.
7. Use the hotel pool.
8. Eat your favorite food for every meal.
9. Don't wait 30 minutes.
10. Use the hotel pool again.
11. Watch every airplane that flies over.
12. Make up stories about where the planes came from and where they are going.
13. Talk to a stranger.
14. Make a new friend.
15. Be the last to leave the pool at night.
16. Make at least one trip to the vending machines.
17. Stay up way past your bedtime.
18. Sleep in a giant bed.
19. Be the first to get in the pool in the morning.
20. Take embarrassing pictures.
21. Don't delete them.
22. Pay too much for a souvenir.
23. Sweat, at least a little.
24. Take another nap.
Give these a shot yourself. They work. Trust me.